Games
AU slogga
4,414 Posts
2.1 years ago
Basically when I got home this afternoon, I went to turn on my computer. I heard the sound of windows, but I was only getting a black screen. I restarted, and this time, no windows loading sound but still the same black screen.

I figure it's the GPU, so I replace it with my old one, but no dice. I try with 2 other GPUs, but still the same black screen. I try my old PSU, but again the same problem. So now I take everything out, and put it back together, interchanging EVERY single part with spare stuff that I know works. Nothing changes. Same black screen upon startup (even though it POSTS). I do know there is a signal there, because my monitor flashes up if theres no signal. In this case it's just displaying a black screen.

Then I randomly try a spare $30 video card and lo and behold, it boots fine. So I try putting in the original video card, but now it doesn't boot. In fact none of the higher end cards boot. The only thing they have in common is that they all need supplied power.

So, can anyone tell me why my computer will boot with a tiny little GPU that uses no extra power cable, but all my other ones result in this black screen? I've tried literally everything and nothing so far has helped.
FILCO Master Race
AU chronstixz
AU General Mod
1,242 Posts
2.1 years ago
Tried a different PCIe slot? Possible your main PCIe slot or motherboard has fried.
NZ Darthfishpaste
3,374 Posts
2.1 years ago
Is the auxilary power into the motherboard plugged in correctly and tight? PCI slot might be lacking power
Little Sister - "So does that mean Lindsay Lohan likes men with boobs?"
AU slogga
4,414 Posts
2.1 years ago
Tried both of those, neither made a difference.
FILCO Master Race
AU Cerp
250 Posts
2.1 years ago
Do you have an 1155 socket mobo?? I had an issue a while back where my bios was choosing the integrated (intel 3000) sandy bridge i5 graphics. So the outputs from my 580 didn't display nothing. It would only show the screen if I plugged the display into the integrated dvi port. Not sure if it's similar but worth a shot??
AU slogga
4,414 Posts
2.1 years ago
It's been working fine for 6 months though :X

It is 1155, so I'll have a look. I have been trough the BIOS a few times though, and nothing changed. Resetting it did nothing, neither did going through every graphics related setting.
FILCO Master Race
NZ Darthfishpaste
3,374 Posts
2.1 years ago
are you using the same video cable with the same (dvi if you are) attachments for both the cards
AU slogga
4,414 Posts
2.1 years ago
Tried switching both VGA, DVI and video card power cables around. Verified they work in other systems.

Made no difference.
FILCO Master Race
AU Beavz
2,723 Posts
2.1 years ago
oh god, not dylan, why did this have to happen to dylan. what am i gonna do now
slogga on the teenagers of today "I dont hate them, i just dont care if they die." | Beavz: are you ready for me? slogga: so ready
NZ Darthfishpaste
3,374 Posts
2.1 years ago
You said you exchanged every single part (assuming you tried the cards with another motherboard and it worked?) then its possible that both the PSU's could have become faulty, possible short from the power cable.
AU slogga
4,414 Posts
2.1 years ago
Nah, I know both are working. I spent an hour interchanging them with my old computer, both power the other computer fine.
FILCO Master Race
AU Beavz
2,723 Posts
2.1 years ago
who ever solves the problem will get my last spare dota key. do with it as you wish.
slogga on the teenagers of today "I dont hate them, i just dont care if they die." | Beavz: are you ready for me? slogga: so ready
NZ Darthfishpaste
3,374 Posts
2.1 years ago
And you did try different motherboards?
AU slogga
4,414 Posts
2.1 years ago
I don't have a spare 1155 motherboard, but I'm pretty sure it's not the issue. As I said, the GPUs all work in other computers, and the small discrete card works in this mobo. (in both PCIe slots)
FILCO Master Race
NZ Darthfishpaste
3,374 Posts
2.1 years ago
It's the only thing that hasn't been changed, so it will be the motherboard, either as someone mentioned earlier a problem with a bios setting, or lack of power, I'm placing bets on my original idea of a problem with the auxilary power connector on the motherboard