Games
AU ToXiiC
2,997 Posts
4.6 years ago

360 Error FAQ

The below FAQ, is here as a guide for those that have 360 Problems. It is in no way a official document from Microsoft

Note : 100% of the information that was discovered was through trial and error.

Red Rings of Death

Sections 1, 2, 3 and 4 are flashing red

The AV cable cannot be detected

THINGS TO TRY

#Make sure that the AV cable is correctly connected to Xbox 360 console
    #Disconnect the AV cable from the Xbox 360 console, and then reconnect the AV cable to the Xbox 360 console.
    #If the four flashing red lights continue to flash, try wiping the metal area of the AV pack with a dry cloth. The metal area is the end that plugs into the console. Wipe the metal area thoroughly, and then try the AV Pack again.
    #If the AV cable is correctly connected but the four red lights are still flashing, substitute a different AV cable if you have one available.

General Hardware Failure

Sections 1, 3 and 4 are flashing red

THINGS TO TRY

• Try restarting the console.
  • If restarting the console does not resolve the behavior, follow these steps:
  • - Turn the console off.
    - Unplug all the power and AV cables from the console.
    - Unplug the power cord from the wall socket.
    - Firmly reconnect all the cables.
    - Turn on the console.
  • If these steps do not resolve the behavior, turn the console off, remove the hard drive, and then turn on the console. If the 3x Red LED error light is no longer displayed, turn the console off, re-attach the hard drive, and then turn on the console.
  • Also examine the lights on the power supply. When you turn on the console, the power supply light should illuminate green even if the three lights on the Ring of light flash red.
  • You can try this video

• I am not 100% sure that it only works with three red rings, I have only ever seen it work with three red rings. No reason not to try it.

Overheating

Sections 1, and 3 are flashing red

Alternatively Overheating can be cause by the console locking up or "freezing" after a set amount of time. Lockups that occur at a specific point in a game are generally problems with the game itself and not caused by overheating.

THINGS TO TRY

• Let the Xbox 360 console cool.
  • Note you may have to wait several hours for the console to cool enough. Do not turn on the console when the console is hot.
  • Verify that the console has sufficient ventilation and that the fan is operating.

PREVENTION SUGGESTIONS

To try to prevent this problem, use the following precautions:

• Do not block any ventilation openings on the Xbox 360 console.
  • Do not put the Xbox 360 console on a bed, on a sofa, or on any other soft surface that may block ventilation openings.
  • Do not put the Xbox 360 console in a confined space, such as a bookcase, a rack, or a stereo cabinet, unless the space is well-ventilated.
  • Do not put the Xbox 360 console near any heat source, such as a radiator, a heat register, a stove, or an amplifier.

DO NOT EVER PUT YOUR CONSOLE IN THE FREEZER OR OUT IN COLD WEATHER

Some people think that doing this might help "fix" an overheating console; in fact doing so could cause even bigger problems. Electronic devices like your console are made to function at and around room temperature; extreme cold temperatures can often cause just as many problems as extreme warm temperatures (such as overheating). Also if the console is located in a dramatically cold area while running, the difference in temperature between the hot console and cold air can create condensation which in turn will short out your console making the situation far worse. Condensation will happen more quickly if your console is overheating due to the greater difference in temperature.

Hardware Failure

Section 4 is flashing red

The Specific Type of hardware failure can be determined by the error code displayed on the screen.

Error Codes

E64: DVD Drive Error.... DVD Timeout, Wrong firmware, dvd is without f/w chip, etc.

E65: DVD Drive Error.... DVD Timeout, Wrong firmware, dvd is without f/w chip, etc. This can also be caused by the tray not being fully closed on boot.

E66: DVD Drive Error: DVD model, or version does not match that of the version expected by the dashboard. OR the firmware version on the drive is older then the firmware version expected by the dashboard. Make sure the DVD drive is of the same version originally included with the console and that it is using either the original firmware included with the console or newer.

E67: Hard Drive Error... It could be a problem with the Hard Drive itself or a problem with the internal connection to the hard drive, Try removing the hard drive and playing without it

E68: Hard Drive Error... It could be a problem with the Hard Drive itself or a problem with the internal connection to the hard drive, Try removing the hard drive and playing without it, This can also be caused by a Hard Drive Eprom Error. Some also believe this might be caused by a problem with the fans.

E69: Hard Drive Error... It could be a problem with the Hard Drive itself or a problem with the internal connection to the hard drive, Try removing the hard drive and playing without it

E71: possibly a dashboard update error, Check below in the "Console Reset Codes" for instructions. If that does not work there is no other solution and the console must be sent back to MS for repair.

E73: General Hardware Error: Ethernet port... this error is caused by a problem with the Ethernet port.

E74: AV cable error... There is a problem with the AV cable, try using a different AV cable. If the cable is known to be working then there is a 90% chance it's a scaler chip problem (the "ANA" or "HANA" chip connected directly to the AV cable) in rare cases it is the GPU.

E79: Hard Drive Error... It could be a problem with the Hard Drive itself or a problem with the internal connection to the hard drive, Try removing the hard drive and playing without it.

There are a lot of tutorials on YouTube. I would not recommend that you open up your Xbox.

Xbox customer service

For faster service, please follow information ready before you call Xbox Customer Support:

For Xbox hardware, accessory and game issues, please ensure that:

#You are in front of your Xbox 360 console when you call.
    #You have your Xbox 360 console serial number ready.
    #You have the colour of the power supply light, when the console is turned on ready. (Green, Red, Orange or No Light.)
    #You have your Windows Live ID ready.

Your Windows Live ID (WILD) is e-mail address and password that you use to sign in to Windows Live programs and services such as Windows Live Hotmail and Windows Live Messenger; Microsoft services such as Xbox LIVE, MSN, and Office Live; and anywhere else that you see the Windows Live ID logo.
For questions relating to connecting to Xbox Live, billing or your Gamertag, please ensure you that:

• You are in front of your Xbox 360 console when you call.
  • You have your Gamertag and Windows Live ID ready.
  • You set up your secret question on your Windows Live ID

To specify a question and secret answer on your Windows Live ID:

Sign in to your Windows Live ID account summary page with your Windows Live ID.

#Next to Question, click Add or Change.
    #Enter your current password.
    #In the Question list, select a question.
    #In the Secret answer box, type the secret answer to the question.
    #In the Your information section, fill in your location details.
    #Click Save.

If you have the above information ready, please call us on 1800 555 741 or 280318186.

Hours of operation (AEST):
7.00am to 9.00pm - Monday to Friday
9.00am to 5.00pm - Saturday and Sunday

If anyone has anything to add please post it and I will edit my post.

Xbox Error Codes
Xbox Customer Support Source

Thanks Acid for the help.
AU laazerr
650 Posts
4.6 years ago
Great Thread mate!
BOL to anyone who has RROD.
faaaaaark
NZ Who is Taylor
2,401 Posts
4.6 years ago
Shit cheers for that mate. Im sure that will help out alot of people
Check this out! MUST for NBA/SPORTS LOVERS: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sports-Clothing-NZ/239629489425306
AU Drjft
2,079 Posts
4.6 years ago
No Towel Trick. Tricks are exactly that, rarely intended, mostly chance. This will further screw your already broken/disable console.

Go out and buy a new console, simple.
Bryce 'Drjft' Wilson | Twitter - @DrjftGaming.
AU sshakey
342 Posts
4.6 years ago
i sent mine in and they fixed it and i didnt even hav warrenty 8)
aRise | 2010 | Black Ops
AU Fez.
1,514 Posts
4.6 years ago
Quote from Drjft on the 31st of January 2010:
No Towel Trick. Tricks are exactly that, rarely intended, mostly chance. This will further screw your already broken/disable console.

So if you can use the towel trick and get your xbox working again(Some people have got it going for up to a month by doing it. Some even longer), You wouldn't do this? You would rather go out and blow $300 out of your pocket for a new console? I fail to see the logic in this.

Edited once, 31/1/10 - 5:39pm.
AU .Swift
777 Posts
4.6 years ago
Quote from Drjft on the 31st of January 2010:

Or you could not be an idiot and just send it in the M$.
AU Kinori
11,051 Posts
4.6 years ago
nice tox
The city
AU Infamous.
4,721 Posts
4.6 years ago
Really great idea, will definately help alot of people out. Sticky?
dalla "I WOULD GET A FUCKING BLENDER AND PUT IT RIGHT ON YOUR FACE" - Showcase o5
ToXiiC buried a post by sup3rior. Show
AU Hugizle
5,531 Posts
4.6 years ago
thnx mate great job

AU Wanted
166 Posts
4.5 years ago
yerrr bol go toxic[sm-love]
oh my wow
AU rapture
6,973 Posts
4.5 years ago
I had my xbox for 2 years, it was one of the old ones with no HDMI so i didn't have any warranty at all so i did the towel trick. It kept me going for a month just until i gathered the money together for a new xbox.
insurgency
AU stevenh58
1 Posts
3.7 years ago
anyone in adelaide that can fix a error 74 on my elite 360 [sm-bawl]
PH hurvee
634 Posts
3.2 years ago
Quote from ToXiiC on the 31st of January 2010:
E74: AV cable error... There is a problem with the AV cable, try using a different AV cable. If the cable is known to be working then there is a 90% chance it's a scaler chip problem (the "ANA" or "HANA" chip connected directly to the AV cable) in rare cases it is the GPU.

This is definitely a GPU error, most likely a molten solder due to overheating, or simply a busted chip. together with 3 red light issue, E74 error with a single flashing light is covered for three years by microsoft's extended warranty program. if you have this problem within 3 years of buying your xbox 360, you can still send the console in for repair for free.
this issue also happens, albeit rarely, in xbox 360 S.