AUS/NZ
PC PS XBOX
Login  
z
OP
AU
Rep:
54%
Overwatch has had a full week outside now, so it's time Blizzard brought its latest child in for some rest, relaxation and brutal balance tweaks. Posting on the Battle.net forums, lead hero designer Geoff Goodman has revealed that McCree and D.Va are top of the pile for potential changes. McCree and his hundred-to-nothing engine in Fan the Hammer will be going down, while D.Va needs moved up - though Goodman isn't sure how yet.

Who should you be playing? Try our picks for the best Overwatch characters.

First, speaking on McCree, Goodman said that "McCree's flashbang plays an important role in being a strong option against very fast/agile teams (tracers/genjis/etc). It is also a nice tool to prevent close range devastating abilities and ultimates such as Reaper's Death Blossom.

"That said, it's probably a bit too good at dealing damage to higher health targets such as Tanks and barriers. I don't have any concrete changes yet, but I'm going to be testing some things internally to see how he plays."

Here he's referring to the fatal combo of stunning people, right clicking to unleash six shots, then rolling to reload and right-clicking again as he clarified later in the thread. This, combined with decent aiming skill in more neutral positions makes him very difficult to take out and a deadly threat - counterable, and requiring a certain amount of practice, but, at least in Blizzard's eyes and those of a mass community outcry, unfair. Fan The Hammer is what will be getting the nerf grenade, at least that's the current plan.

Meanwhile, Goodman popped up in another thread discussing tank damage levels - particularly those of Korean StarCraft princess D.Va. In it, he explains that "D.Va's damage is definitely on the lower side, much like Winstons. They are this way for a similar reason: They are both very mobile and hard to kill. Every character in the game has strengths and weaknesses, its part of what makes the teamplay work well.

"That said, I do think the is some room for some D.Va improvements, but these are unlikely to take the shape of increasing her damage output significantly."

In a further post, he made the point that she is designed as a skirmisher, and having her at higher damage - like when she was first implemented - made her seriously difficult to deal with. I can attest that the version I played at Blizzcon 2015 certainly took down healers and flankers at an alarming rate. The intention would be to improve her movement capabilities in some way, rather than making her harder to take down in a direct firefight or buffing her damage. As he puts it, they don't want a "beefy flying assassin" they're after a "viable aggressive initiation tank" ala Winston.

More changes are likely to come, and Jeff Kaplan's been posting on the topic of more minor features today as well. No mention of Zenyatta here surprises me, but clearly Goodman was replying to threads he saw, rather than making direct announcement - doubtless the game's worst hero is about ready to go into the shop too. Exactly when all these changes will arrive isn't clear, though a patch is scheduled for the end of June to bring back Overwatch competitive play.

Thanks, PCG.
(SRC: http://www.pcgamesn.com/overwatch/mccree-nerfs-overwatch-balance-changes)
Downvote
11 months ago
OP
AU
Rep:
54%
Cynical Nerds Video Version -
Downvote
11 months ago
AU
Rep:
78%
AU PC Content Team
I feel like a couple of other changes/fixes need to be implemented:

• Once Road Hog releases chain hook, though the player model moves behind a wall. It should not allow Hog to pull that player model in and bypass the wall. (This by far has happen to many times)
  • Tracer could use a balanced in terms of + Damage (Pulse Bomb), - Mobility (Increase Blink cool down)
  • "Genji reflects an oncoming projectile and sends it rebounding in the direction he's aiming." description is not all true as he has a tendency to block side projections even if he doesn't see them on the users screen.
  • Zarya NERF (2 Healers and GG)
  • Feel like Symmetra's turrets could do more damage, in return for her default weapon damage.

Any thoughts on current notes and any other points that could be addressed?
Downvote
11 months ago
OP
AU
Rep:
54%
Quote from Misha on the 2nd of June 2016:
I feel like a couple of other changes/fixes need to be implemented
*Once Road Hog releases chain hook, though the player model moves behind a wall. It should not allow Hog to pull that player model in and bypass the wall. (This by far has happen to many times)

This is because the server reads rego client side so on his screen your not behind the wall at the time. it favors the player not the opponent. Hopefully when ranked 60 tick servers come online this issue wont be as clunky!

*Tracer could use a balanced in terms of + Damage (Pulse Bomb), - Mobility (Increase Blink cool down)
I like the idea of increase blink cooldown but only like 0.5-0.7 seconds increase.
pulse bomb is fine in current state.

* "Genji reflects an oncoming projectile and sends it rebounding in the direction he's aiming." description is not all true as he has a tendency to block side projections even if he doesn't see them on the users screen.
havent had a issue with this as i play reinheardt so yeah... cant comment.

* Zarya NERF (2 Healers and GG)
I play with a very good Zarya and he is unstoppable without healers i cannot imagine 2 healers with him!!!!!

* Feel like Symmetra's turrets could do more damage, in return for her default weapon damage.
That is a great idea, i also feel like AOE abilities destroy these way too easy and its hard to microwave a room effectively when a pharah or junk can just 1 bomb the room and kill 3 sentrys. So maybe make them ignore AOE and it has to be direct hit per sentry to kill.

Any thoughts on current notes and any other points that could be addressed?

Id like them to fix the reinheardt charge. too many times ive directly hit people and its just knocked them up in the air rather than pinning them. *facepalm*
Downvote
11 months ago

Follow CG On:
Ongoing PC PUGs:
View PCTodays Tournaments:
View All Featured Upcoming PC Tournament:
View All Featured Upcoming PC Matches:
Advertisement:
CyberGamer Premium Monthly Raffle 2 Days WIN an iPod Nano every Month! Congratulations Rorgh, our April Winner!
Advertisement:
How good at your best game are you?
One of the top 20 players
Top 1% of players
Top 2% of players
Top 5% of players
Top 10% of players
Top 20% of players
Top 50% of players
Bottom 50% of players
1234 Votes