AUS/NZ
PC PS XBOX
z
OP
AU
Rep:
56%
Post Likes: 1
Hey everyone, got an extra key to give away so you can access the game tomorrow before the open beta (note , key isn't the full game just access to the closed beta that pre order people get)

All you have to do is post one reason why you think the game wont be competitive and ill pick the best answer.

Good luck everyone.

will close the comp at 7pm est

Edited once, 2/5/16 - 1:26pm.
Downvote
1.3 years ago
AU
Rep:
76%
This is my opinion.
The game doesn't reward skill in a traditional sense. When I say this, I mean kills are essentially given via the abilities in the game and therefore are not earned through skill of game play. You can argue that the skill factor comes from your team comp and overall makeup depending on whether or not you're playing attack or defense, but you can constantly switch classes mid game to counter the opposing teams counter and so on without any real penalty. It's easy to foresee very cookie cutter team comps being overly dominant in the future. Tank being followed by a healer wins. Without it, you will not have a viable comp. You might say.. "Well duh" but this means only certain heroes will ever be selected and others will be excluded.

The matches themselves are entirely too short and a direct result of this will be that the average spectator base will quickly lose interest during matches. Something as simple as adding a third capture point could alleviate this. As far as goes Payload, it's really just unappealing to watch as seen by the years of examples with TF2. There are way too many shields in this game and they are brokenly strong with very few counters. Insert Reignhardt here followed by a Mercy and you have an immediate advantage. Add a Winston bubble followed by a Bastion that just sits there behind his wall, you will soon learn how frustrating it can be.

There is absolutely no resource management in the game. Everyone has unlimited ammo. This is just another example of Blizzards attempt to make all of their games appeal to the casual player base that they have been thriving off of for years. Again, this is only in reference to competitive game play. If your idea of fun is running around getting free kills for 5-10 minutes, I'm sure you will enjoy this game.

Further evidence of how this game is catered to the extremely casual player base is the fact that Blizzard refuses to display your KDR (Kill - Death - Ratio) for others to see. This is their way of removing the blame on a teammate that could be doing poorly on your team and potentially causing you to lose the match. It's extremely frustrating to know that this is the direction they have chosen to take it.

notcopypasta exd

Edited twice, last edited 2/5/16 - 4:17pm.
Downvote
1.3 years ago
US
Rep:
69%
Too many bad people playing for fun and all the competitive people will get mad
Downvote
1.3 years ago
AU
Rep:
52%
See you in the fighting pits CG whores.
Downvote
1.3 years ago
AU
Rep:
69%
it is competitive because ill be better than you and that will upset u rock boy
Downvote
1.3 years ago
AU
Rep:
57%
Quote from sam1 on the 2nd of May 2016:
it is competitive because ill be better than you and that will upset u rock boy
Downvote
1.3 years ago
AU
Rep:
70%
I remember your old video in cod 4 of you @ lan and how weird your setup was in terms of keybinds

Surely that's enough
Downvote
1.3 years ago
AU
Rep:
55%
Game wont be competitive because of double tracer double lucio comps / pce fgts
Downvote
1.3 years ago
AU
Rep:
75%
Quote from FASHO^^ on the 2nd of May 2016:
The game doesn't reward skill in a traditional sense. When I say this, I mean kills are essentially given via the abilities in the game and therefore are not earned through skill of game play. You can argue that the skill factor comes from your team comp and overall makeup depending on whether or not you're playing attack or defense, but you can constantly switch classes mid game to counter the opposing teams counter and so on without any real penalty. It's easy to foresee very cookie cutter team comps being overly dominant in the future. Tank being followed by a healer wins. Without it, you will not have a viable comp. You might say.. "Well duh" but this means only certain heroes will ever be selected and others will be excluded.

Disagree completely, you have already seen in beta competitive the meta shift away from running tanks back to tanks and then away again. There is no "cookie cutter" atm maybe later but that's sorta what balance patching fixes.

Most of the kills i got during the "stress test" were via aim and not abilities. I was in the same state of mind that this game would just be an ability fest but it isn't. I'm not sure if you have played enough of the game or you're just failing to see the inner workings of it but it is literally the opposite of how you put it.

The matches themselves are entirely too short and a direct result of this will be that the average spectator base will quickly lose interest during matches. Something as simple as adding a third capture point could alleviate this. As far as goes Payload, it's really just unappealing to watch as seen by the years of examples with TF2. There are way too many shields in this game and they are brokenly strong with very few counters. Insert Reignhardt here followed by a Mercy and you have an immediate advantage. Add a Winston bubble followed by a Bastion that just sits there behind his wall, you will soon learn how frustrating it can be.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this but mercy pretty much does nothing for reinhardt, his shield isn't buffed or healed by mercy and if his shield is popped by high dps line ups then he's pretty much useless until it recharges.

The winston bubble with bastion is the current meta but already it's starting to get countered in competitive play. I think you're focusing too heavy on the pub scene which is always going to be the cheesiest thing possible.

There is absolutely no resource management in the game. Everyone has unlimited ammo. This is just another example of Blizzards attempt to make all of their games appeal to the casual player base that they have been thriving off of for years. Again, this is only in reference to competitive game play. If your idea of fun is running around getting free kills for 5-10 minutes, I'm sure you will enjoy this game.

Pretty retarded argument, cod4 had no resource management let's be honest. In competitive we gave every one enough ammo to kill the enemy team 10x over. In csgo they removed having to buy ammo and give you enough ammo to again kill the entire team 10x over. If the game was based around rounds like csgo and cod then having an ammo would be needed. But it isn't. Really shit argument on that one.

The resource management in this game is "time". You need to know when to use abilities and when not to, in a game as fast passed as overwatch shitty ability use will lose you games easy.

Further evidence of how this game is catered to the extremely casual player base is the fact that Blizzard refuses to display your KDR (Kill - Death - Ratio) for others to see. This is their way of removing the blame on a teammate that could be doing poorly on your team and potentially causing you to lose the match. It's extremely frustrating to know that this is the direction they have chosen to take it.

KDR literally means fucking nothing. In CSGO it has a place with the economy system but let's be real here the KDA chart is simply there to boost e-ego's it serves no purpose in competitive play in the slightest. If your team can't work out who is crushing you or preventing you from doing something without pressing tab and seeing one player go 30-0 your teams shit. Work on your communication.

Most of the shit you said is based around pub and doesn't effect competitive play in the slightest. Not sure if you just hate Blizzard or hate Overwatch but either way your opinion is pretty flawed.

The games fun, has a high skill ceiling and gap between shit players and good players. It will be competitive regardless simply because Blizzard is pumping money into comps but if you don't like it.. don't play it?

Edited twice, last edited 2/5/16 - 5:20pm.
Downvote
1.3 years ago
AU
Rep:
72%
I rarely post in CG but this is getting silly. I have this to say about any game regardless of its type. Look at what has historically worked and what hasn't. Substantiate claims with facts.

People have historically thrown shade at a certain game saying it won't become competitive (League of Legends) simply because it doesn't tailor to their credentials as a competitive game or some predecessor has done it better.

Its not up to you;

It's up to the community who heavily engages in the game, and the company that supports it. And from what I've seen, the community is going to be quite fucking large (7 million beta opt ins) and blizzard has had high value tournaments for all of its games.

I mean look at hearthstone. I detest card based games because i see no constant disparity between high and low tier players due to the fact some shit cunt could potentially pull out a series of winning cards and the other player cant do shit, there is no counter in that case, you were beaten by a random number generator and not the player . And yet that game is one of the highest twitch streamed games and has large tournaments to top it off.

Moreover, Warlords of Draenor is possibly the worst PvP expansion for WoW and has caused the most unsubs of all time. Every top PvPer has essentially said fuck the WoW department you have ruined the game. Guess what. Blizzcon still had a $250,000 prize pool for a game that's PvP system is globally hated.

So for a new game thats core gameplay is emphatically enjoyed by a myriad of players (myself included) across gaming platforms (mobas, arena shooters, mmorpgs) i can confidently say its got everything in the making for a competitive game. The only deterring factor in the matter is if Blizzard Overwatch fucks up before it takes off. And from viewing the reddit during the beta, to me it doesn't seem like that's going to be the case.
Downvote
1.3 years ago
AU
Rep:
75%
"No lush, it's not tf2 or csgo thus it can't be competitive" - *Insert any never made it in any competitive game player*
Downvote
1.3 years ago
AU
Rep:
76%
Downvote
1.3 years ago
AU
Rep:
68%
Meh with a healthy pub scene it will more then likely take off, because as much as certain players will bitch about pub players they pay a shit ton more money in terms of cosmetics (league of legends for example). The more interesting question I have will it last past 8-12 months in Aus.

It looks hella fun from what I have seen, not sure about those lock on insta kill ults but hey gota have some form of rage inducing thing to piss of the masses. One thing I don't get is why they allow you to change team comps halfway through a round, allows for more tactics you can argue, but sorta allows you to go oh shit this comp isn't working quickly switch.

Saying that I seriously hope the game succeeds will be interesting to watch and see it develop

Edited twice, last edited 2/5/16 - 6:01pm.
Downvote
1.3 years ago
AU
Rep:
53%
I got 3 Early access keys. hit me up on steam if you want one, yes they are for free.
Downvote
1.3 years ago
AU
Rep:
53%
1 more left.
Downvote
1.3 years ago