AUS/NZ
PC PS XBOX
z
OP
AU
Rep:
72%
I've been looking at the benefits of doing yoga, but I haven't started up a yoga class yet. Anybody from CG do yoga at all, or have thought of doing Yoga?

I was thinking about looking at some videos and books and trying it myself down at a beach early in the morning, but i've heard the benefits of starting with a class.
Downvote
1.5 years ago
AU
Rep:
75%
Post Likes: 1
the whole point on doing yoga is seeing the chicks in yoga pants, isn't it? why would you do it alone?
Downvote
1.5 years ago
OP
AU
Rep:
72%
Quote from Strauchanie on the 17th of February 2016:
the whole point on doing yoga is seeing the chicks in yoga pants, isn't it? why would you do it alone?

gr8 b8 but I'll answer your question anyway.

Health benefits of yoga include:

Cardiovascular system (heart and arteries) – asanas are isometric, which means they rely on holding muscle tension for a short period of time. This improves cardiovascular fitness and circulation. Studies show that regular yoga practice may help normalise blood pressure.

Digestive system – improved blood circulation and the massaging effect of surrounding muscles speeds up a sluggish digestion.

Musculoskeletal – joints are moved through their full range of motion, which encourages mobility and eases pressure. The gentle stretching releases muscle and joint tension, and stiffness, and also increases flexibility. Maintaining many of the asanas encourages strength and endurance. Weight-bearing asanas may help prevent osteoporosis, and may also help people already diagnosed with osteoporosis (if practiced with care under the supervision of a qualified yoga teacher). Long-term benefits include reduced back pain and improved posture.

Nervous system – improved blood circulation, easing of muscle tension and the act of focusing the mind on the breath all combine to soothe the nervous system. Long-term benefits include reduced stress, anxiety and fatigue, better concentration and energy levels, and increased feelings of calm and wellbeing.

It's all about being mind fit, body fit. I've heard of many people with mental illnesses and physical illnesses that benefit greatly from this.
Downvote
1.5 years ago
AU
Rep:
74%
Post Likes: 2
Downvote
1.5 years ago
AU
Rep:
68%
Did a bit two years to regain some flexibility in my shoulders seemed all right but I got more benefit from the physio
Downvote
1.5 years ago
OP
AU
Rep:
72%
Quote from Darkey on the 17th of February 2016:
Did a bit two years to regain some flexibility in my shoulders seemed all right but I got more benefit from the physio

how many sessions did you do?

did you get more benefit for your shoulders from the physio? That makes sense of course, but overall how well did you feel after the yoga?
Downvote
1.5 years ago
AU
Rep:
68%
Post Likes: 1
Quote from 777 on the 17th of February 2016:
how many sessions did you do?

did you get more benefit for your shoulders from the physio? That makes sense of course, but overall how well did you feel after the yoga?

Was doing it 4 times a week for a month each session was about 30-45 mins long

Yea I had a bigger increase in movement/strength from the physio. First couple of sessions felt like hell on earth, after that felt pretty good had fairly good increases in movement just for some reason strength wasn't returning as quickly as they first thought. That's the reason I went back to the physio and ditched yoga
Downvote
1.5 years ago
AU
Rep:
61%
Yoga is a holistic approach to health that spans across everything from physical fitness and flexibility to spiritual harmony and such (or something along those lines).

Unless that spiritual side is part of what you are after, I suggest going for something more physical based. There are some cut down forms of Yoga that ignore the spiritual side (could add that in later I suppose) or there are some alternatives such as pilates. On the other hand if the spiritual side is a big part of what you are after, I don't think you have much choice other to go for Yoga (and some martial arts) as most don't incorporate anything of the sort.
Downvote
1.5 years ago
AU
Rep:
78%
I do it before lifting
it's somewhat beneficial, and unlike most prof. physio its free
Downvote
1.5 years ago
OP
AU
Rep:
72%
Quote from Sparkssss on the 17th of February 2016:
Yoga is a holistic approach to health that spans across everything from physical fitness and flexibility to spiritual harmony and such (or something along those lines).

Unless that spiritual side is part of what you are after, I suggest going for something more physical based. There are some cut down forms of Yoga that ignore the spiritual side (could add that in later I suppose) or there are some alternatives such as pilates. On the other hand if the spiritual side is a big part of what you are after, I don't think you have much choice other to go for Yoga (and some martial arts) as most don't incorporate anything of the sort.

I already work out at gym about 4 times a week, as well mountain bike often. I guess I would just use it for stretching
Downvote
1.5 years ago
AU
Rep:
68%
Quote from 777 on the 17th of February 2016:
I already work out at gym about 4 times a week, as well mountain bike often

For what you do it wouldn't be that helpful pilates would give you more benefit since it works on stabilization of muscle groups. Which is what Mountain Biking benefits greatly from especially through the core
Downvote
1.5 years ago
AU
Rep:
66%
I'm sure Cyanide does yoga from time to time
Downvote
1.5 years ago
AU
Rep:
23%
If you can, get around to doing hot yoga i.e. bikram. It's amazing for flushing toxins from the skin (through sweating). It gets your heart rate up and also warms up your muscles, to avoid hurting yourself whilst stretching.
Downvote
1.3 years ago