Games
AU Crow.
5,499 Posts
2.4 years ago
Quote from MadTwatter on the 2nd of May 2012:
Quote from Crow. on the 2nd of May 2012:
SPOILER: Click to view

Apple's desktops are disgusting overprices pieces of shit.

Their laptops (the Macbook Pros with dedicated graphics) are amazing and I challenge anyone to find a better laptop (better being not just performance, but weight, power saving capabilities and general engineering of the product). I am not an Apple fanboy, I will always use a custom built PC for my gaming, but for a performance laptop, MBPs are hard to beat.
I use my netbook.

and didnt pay $2000+ dollars for a facebook/note taking machine
"Edge cups the balls and works the shaft, good bloke" - Rozay
AU GeoffBRO
3,144 Posts
2.4 years ago
Quote from Crow. on the 2nd of May 2012:
power saving capabilities

why can't they do the same for the phones :/ battery dies so quick.
AU l_w_88
6,536 Posts
2.4 years ago
Quote from MadTwatter on the 2nd of May 2012:
I challenge anyone to find a better laptop

"MBP" as you call it:
2.4ghz i5
4gb ddr3 1333mhz
500gb hdd
13" screen
--
$1399

Toshiba:
2.4ghz i5
4gb ddr3 1333mhz
500gb hdd
15" screen
--
$669

HALF the cost, same hardware, larger screen.
You can easily buy a high capacity battery, carry bag, mouse and A WHOLE FUCKING DESKTOP PC for the difference in cost, for what is essentially the same computer.
Quit talking out of your arse.
"theirs smart people and dumb ass" - iMonsteR
AU Ponco
PC Platform Mod
2,432 Posts
2.4 years ago
As a Mac and Windows user for the better part of 5 years, I can say they both have advantages and disadvantages.

Mac
Debatable, but personally I see OSX as the best operating system - it is UNIX with a cute UI. It is impractical (read: SHITHOUSE) for development and professional gaming, however, it excels with creative based tasks such as graphic design and web design - the OS is designed for aesthetics and it complements these tasks.

As for the hardware, lets face it, you're paying for the brand - Apple is a software company, they use other companies hardware, stick it all in a bunch of very good looking aluminium and put an Apple logo on it. Upset over this? Fuck off, that is capitalism and business at its best. If it weren't for "markup", our capitalist society wouldn't exist...

If you don't like it, don't pay for it - simple as that.

Windows

In its 500th iteration and still riddled with issues - not to mention the MS sys admin's attitude towards problems that always shits me: "You should all use windows, you shouldn't be allowed to use Mac or an iPhone!"

All in all, I love Windows for gaming and development, Windows 7 is clean, crisp and gets the job done. I also like the fact that there are no license agreements restricting what hardware it can be used on lol (OSX: the reason it "just works" is because Apple don't have to account for every different type of hardware available).

OP: Install Windows 7 using the Bootcamp Utility (Applications/Utilities/Bootcamp.app) and play your Windows game that way.

In answer to your question, no, there are no applications that can port game engines on the fly.
AU Crow.
5,499 Posts
2.4 years ago
Quote from Ponco on the 4th of May 2012:
"markup",
Markup as much as 300% on old gear.

Right.
AU NussBuster
1,519 Posts
2.4 years ago
It's slightly painful to see clueless gits buy them thinking they're getting a premium computer.

But then, it's not my money so why should I care if people keep feeding the dragon.
AU l_w_88
6,536 Posts
2.4 years ago
Quote from Ponco on the 4th of May 2012:
As a Mac and Windows user for the better part of 5 years, I can say they both have advantages (first mistake) and disadvantages.

Mac
Debatable, but personally I see OSX as the best operating system - it is UNIX with a cute UI. It is impractical (read: SHITHOUSE) for development and professional gaming, however, it excels with creative based tasks such as graphic design and web design the same programs are available on both windows and macOS - the OS is designed for aesthetics and it complements these tasks. the look of the os has nothing to do with the programs running on it, i.e. that's bullshit

As for the hardware, lets face it, you're paying for the brand - Apple is a software company, they use other companies hardware, stick it all in a bunch of very good looking aluminium (lian li, fractal and corsair just to name a few case brands that have great looking cases for cheaper) and put an Apple logo on it. Upset over this? Fuck off (I know that's apple's attitude toward every customer complaint, including the fact you can cover your iphone aerial with your hand and it wont work, but that doesn't make it a valid argument), that is capitalism (no, that's called immaturity and customer negligence) and business at its best (actually it's not, their brand image and marketing just happen to cover up the fact they have the less impressive product). If it weren't for "markup", our capitalist society wouldn't exist (apart from the fact you don't understand the words you're using, you can quite easily build a standard computer and put macOS on it for FAR cheaper than buying one from apple, so this whole line is illogical and meaningless)...

If you don't like it, don't pay for it - simple as that. (this truism doesn't really support your position, its inclusion is unnecessary)

Windows

In its 500th iteration and still riddled with issues (and macOS isn't? What about the way everything is hidden and the interface is counterintuitive? How about the fact it's not compatible with as many programs or the outright lies about macs never breaking down or getting viruses?) - not to mention the MS sys admin's attitude towards problems that always shits me: "You should all use windows, you shouldn't be allowed to use Mac or an iPhone!" (that's some hypocritical bullshit right there)

All in all, I love Windows for gaming and development, Windows 7 is clean, crisp and gets the job done. I also like the fact that there are no license agreements restricting what hardware it can be used on lol (OSX: the reason it "just works" is because Apple don't have to account for every different type of hardware available) (actually it doesn't, macs break down and refuse to work under some circumstances as well).

OP: Install Windows 7 using the Bootcamp Utility (Applications/Utilities/Bootcamp.app) and play your Windows game that way.

In answer to your question, no, there are no applications that can port game engines on the fly.

Quite the retarded fanboi aren't you?
It's hard to take your post seriously when there's so much wrong with it, but then again this is the usual apple fan bullshit.

Edited once, 4/5/12 - 5:37pm.
AU Sostopher
Content Team
1,737 Posts
2.4 years ago
He makes logical arguments... did a Mac rape your mum in front of you or something?
AU Crow.
5,499 Posts
2.4 years ago
No he just likes to shutdown idiots.

He needs a staff role
AU Sostopher
Content Team
1,737 Posts
2.4 years ago
Fairly sure I also said to take other things into account other than internal hardware. But oh well, focus on one aspect.
AU NussBuster
1,519 Posts
2.4 years ago
What, like "general engineering"?
AU Sostopher
Content Team
1,737 Posts
2.4 years ago
Quote from NussBuster on the 4th of May 2012:
What, like "general engineering"?

Like battery life, performance for weight, and yes engineering of the product. Currently, Macbook Pros are the only laptops I have seen where you can lift the lid with one finger and don't have to hold down the rest of it. Just simple shit like that. Anyone can chuck some hardware in a shitty plastic case with a shit screen and be cheaper.
AU l_w_88
6,536 Posts
2.4 years ago
You mean how ultrabooks are common now? Battery life is meaninglessly close between macos and windows notebooks? Then you have how no macbook or laptop will stand up to the same punishment or last longer on average than one another?

You mean how equal they are in all those areas, right? Isn't that what you mean? Right? You mean how price is the one thing that objectively separates them right? That's what you meant right? Cause you couldn't possibly mean that apple are better at all those things and everything costing at least twice the price sometimes way fucking more compensates for a logo right? Because that would make you stupid.
AU Sostopher
Content Team
1,737 Posts
2.4 years ago
I can't even make sense of your opening sentence. So I will go with no...

I am saying, for what I needed my laptop for (4 years old and still going strong mind you) those were the factors I used to decide what I would buy. I also needed something light for the performance (this ruled out most companies), with a dedicated GPU and 2.4GHz dual core processor in 2008 for under 2.5 kg was damn good. It suited my needs perfectly and better than others could, that's why I bought it.

I did not buy it because of their branding, logo or any of that other shit. I bought it because I genuinely believed it to be the better product for what I needed. Yes, there are stupid people that will go out and buy it because it looks pretty and only use it for Facebook; your point? Different laptops are aimed at different users, some buy them for different reasons. If the product satisfies these reasons, it is a good product in their eyes. That's all that matters.
AU l_w_88
6,536 Posts
2.4 years ago
"I didn't read your post, let me repeat what I just said."

That's essentially what you just wrote.

Ultrabooks (slim, light weight notebooks) are common, battery life is comparable and so is build quality - therefore apple's higher prices are completely avoidable even if your needs are met by an apple notebook, because there is a much cheaper alternative that offers the exact same qualities with a better OS, and if you really want mac OS you can just install it on your fucking cheaper notebook, can't you?