Games
AU Guni
691 Posts
2.7 years ago
Hello,

Since the Christmas and Easter break I've been eaten a bit and not exercising which has resulted in gaining weight. Now im not to the point were its bulging outwards but i would still like to slim down and get a bit of muscle tone as well. I have absolutely no idea regarding exercise and diets so im looking for someone who can help me plan that stuff out. I haven't got a gym membership at the moment as im trying to save some cash but if it is a crucial thing i am more than happy to go change that (I have dumbbells at home). I'm currently 18, 6'4", 90-100kg.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction and give me some help.

Cheers,
Guni

Edited once, 16/4/12 - 10:55pm.
AU beeg~
426 Posts
2.7 years ago
honestly, sign up to a gym, pay for an hour long pt session (if you really have no idea). pay for another say 1 month later. go from there. once u start progressing, u can simply look up tut vids on how to work dif muscle groups, vary ur cardio etc.
=.=
AU Guni
691 Posts
2.7 years ago
mmmh im aware it would be so much easier at the gym but they tend to make you sign-up for like 12-24months cause there money hungry
AU zske
60 Posts
2.7 years ago
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/ - Have a look on there for routines / workouts; that suit what you want to achieve.
AU state
647 Posts
2.7 years ago
pay me. i'll be your online pt, no contract.

srs: if you join a 24 hour gym such as jetts or snap, they don't have contracts and they're only about $17 a fortnight
AU GOC
732 Posts
2.7 years ago
Not all gyms are on contracts, I've found just in my area gyms are becoming more popular and popping up everywhere anyway. With this in mind I'm sure there would be one in your area that in contract-free like most independents are.
1v1 me @ train0 fgtz
AU #BLIGHT robez
226 Posts
2.7 years ago
I hope this isn't bait, but if not;
You really don't need to go to the gym, spend a bit of money on a 50KG weight set and you're set to do all your shit at home. For what you want (which is pretty much just toning), you just need light weights, which would be about a 20kg barbell, 5 - 7.5kg dumbbells and then you can go for runs if you're motivated enough and your legs aren't fucked like mine. Look up sixpackshortcuts on youtube if you need help with exercises, they're pretty good on most shit.

Dietary isn't a big thing for me, though I am watching what I eat. You need to keep protein in yourself, whether that be through meals, shakes or both. You also need to keep your carb levels up and shit, so small servings of pasta and shit like that's always good. Then just keep to smaller shit during the day when you're hungry, like salads, yoghurts and what not. You'd really have to look up dietary and find more information than what I've just given you, but that pretty much sums it up, now just look further into it through google and youtube.

Also, my meal plan is usually something like this;
Breakfast: Salad sandwich (not white), apple, and a vitamin tablet.
Lunch: Salad sandwich, yoghurt, fruits.
Dinner: Chicken breast, meats (steak, sausages, etc), fish with a side of salad.

Fuck da trollz,
hope I helped.

Edited once, 16/4/12 - 11:16pm.
AU Guni
691 Posts
2.7 years ago
Quote from ColzjYe! on the 16th of April 2012:
I hope this isn't bait, but if not;
You really don't need to go to the gym, spend a bit of money on a 50KG weight set and you're set to do all your shit at home. For what you want (which is pretty much just toning), you just need light weights, which would be about a 20kg barbell, 5 - 7.5kg dumbbells and then you can go for runs if you're motivated enough and your legs aren't fucked like mine. Look up sixpackshortcuts on youtube if you need help with exercises, they're pretty good on most shit.

Dietary isn't a big thing for me, though I am watching what I eat. You need to keep protein in yourself, whether that be through meals, shakes or both. You also need to keep your carb levels up and shit, so small servings of pasta and shit like that's always good. Then just keep to smaller shit during the day when you're hungry, like salads, yoghurts and what not. You'd really have to look up dietary and find more information than what I've just given you, but that pretty much sums it up, now just look further into it through google and youtube.

Fuck da trollz.

Thanks man! will take some of these into consideration. Ive been doing sit-ups and push ups at the moment but nothing to fancy. Thanks to all who have replied as well, will take in all recommendations.
AU Penny
1,244 Posts
2.7 years ago
My mates are right into gym and crap, i can tell you they eat a shitload of tuna. Anyways try stay off soft drink / alcohol and away from fast food and junk. If you're hungry for a snack eat fruit or have a salad sandwich, if you're thirsty drink water. Just gotta control yourself I guess and eat whats good for you.
AU #BLIGHT robez
226 Posts
2.7 years ago
Quote from Guni on the 16th of April 2012:
Thanks man! will take some of these into consideration. Ive been doing sit-ups and push ups at the moment but nothing to fancy. Thanks to all who have replied as well, will take in all recommendations.

Yeah, doing sit ups and push ups are really good too, lifting your own body weight to tone really works. You should chuck some crunches in there too, they're fairly nice. You don't even have to do many, but it's up to you to be honest, they wouldn't be completely necessary unless you want a real nice body with good abs and what not.
AU #BLIGHT robez
226 Posts
2.7 years ago
Quote from Penny on the 16th of April 2012:
if you're thirsty drink water. Just gotta control yourself I guess and eat whats good for you.
He's on it ^
AU kla2g
2,143 Posts
2.7 years ago
Waterwaterwaterwater

Eat 5 small portions a day rather than 3 big ones

Cardio

???

= Profit
i no care i lov it
AU state
647 Posts
2.7 years ago
nutrition is 70% of the struggle if you want to lose weight. as for workouts, i'd look at something like rippetoes starting strength- as long as you have a barbell you can do it at home (i'm actually a personal trainer-srs). i wouldn't worry about crunches or sit ups- sure if you really want to then do it at the end, but it's going to burn similar calories to a bicep curl and spot working is a myth (doing crunches thinking that you're going to burn fat of your stomach more than other places).

oh and the time after you finish your workout resistance training raises your metabolism four times as much as cardio so weight training is best for fat loss despite what people may say. cardio is still important but more for health than fat loss.
AU Zulk
582 Posts
2.7 years ago
Please don't read in to any of this bro science if you're serious.

Don't not do an exercise because you won't see immediate gains (re: above post about ab strength). Do the exercises that you won't see massive results from immediately, along with all the other common ones because, more often than not, these exercises are vital to developing a muscle group that is integral to other parts of your workout. Example: core strength for squatting.

You don't need to sign up to a gym to get results but it can help fast-track your gains. You can do everything you need to do at home without a gym or any real weight sets.

The biggest thing you need to focus on to lose flab is your diet mixed in with some decent cardio work. As said before, 5 meals a day is good. If you can't do that, then 3 meals a day with some decent snacks in between when your body starts asking for food. A simple google search will bring up plenty of decent diet/snack ideas. Weight loss is really quite simple from the bigger picture point of view; eat less than you burn. If you're burning 9000kj/day, eat 8000kj/day. Again, a google search brings up a number of decent calorie counters which give you a bit of an idea as to what you're consuming.

Fuck, can't be bothered typing much more... go to google, have a look at some articles (google scholar can be a place to start if you want to avoid bro-science) regarding your questions. There's plenty of science on the topic.

And in terms of cardio that'll increase your metabolic rate for the rest of the day, read in to HIIT/Fartlek.
AU state
647 Posts
2.7 years ago
Quote from Zulk on the 17th of April 2012:
Don't not do an exercise because you won't see immediate gains (re: above post about ab strength). Do the exercises that you won't see massive results from immediately, along with all the other common ones because, more often than not, these exercises are vital to developing a muscle group that is integral to other parts of your workout. Example: core strength for squatting.

are you suggesting do crunches?