Games
AU SpotTheOzzie
1,881 Posts
2.7 years ago
It'd be good to see some more CGi teams (and the HoN community in general) show up to the LAN; as I was leaving SGL Jackson was giving me the briefing of the next event.

This is what his intentions are (not necessarily definites)

April, at Redfern*, in the same hall where they host MasterChef -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Technology_Park

Also, it'd be good to hear from those guys who went to the LAN and provide your feedback as the SGL team are always open to community input.

I'll ensure Rocky/Casualty see this thread in time.

Edited 5 times, last edited 7/2/12 - 12:08am.
AU B-ray
ShoutCaster
3,527 Posts
2.7 years ago
Lag seemed to be a problem at the LAN, mainly for SC2 and HoN
AU NickyDee
2,978 Posts
2.7 years ago
Redfern*

And is this the new location for the next SGL?
AU SpotTheOzzie
1,881 Posts
2.7 years ago
Quote from NickyDee on the 6th of February 2012:
Redfern*

And is this the new location for the next SGL?

Yes, from my discussion with Rocky this is the place he is leaning towards. I personally would prefer it to be at Rose Hill but SGL has plans on expanding.

Edited once, 6/2/12 - 11:51pm.
AU NickyDee
2,978 Posts
2.7 years ago
Ah nice, would be good to get some HoN games in next SGL, the CoD4 comp went until early hours of the morning so I was unable to.
AU RetardedMelon
367 Posts
2.7 years ago
brim flapping
AU tsubilover
107 Posts
2.7 years ago
is there a ball park for the approx. date of the event
just so i can free up my calender

xoxo
NZ Wytaliba
50 Posts
2.7 years ago
The lag was very frustrating, the lack of tournament structure and communication between the teams was appalling. You know the problems, shouldn't happen again (at least not to that degree).

Also to have a LAN event that only lasts for 24 hours is a bit sad to see, back in my day (god I feel old), when we had LANs, they would start on Friday and go till Sunday, and you would be able to experience throughout the LAN, all the phases that people would go through. The excitement of seeing everyone on the first day, the people not sleeping the first night and being smashed for the rest of the LAN. The pyramids of energy drinks the food runs etc. Also the competitions are spread out more evenly and people are not expected to play at 3-7am, but perhaps you were looking at more specific feedback on HoN and not the changing the LAN structure as a whole?

I did enjoy the LAN, I would love to see a gaming marathon type event where you host tournaments / competitions for indie/free games where everyone can join in, and everyone gets in the spirit of the LAN environment.

Last but not least, obviously you need to let know the community about the prizes earlier than a week before the LAN, I know this was outside your control but you will need to plan ahead and let the teams know because out of state teams cant easily transport there at short notice. Also if you want other members of the HoN community there (not just teams) perhaps throw some fun competitions in there, most kills in a mid wars game wins gold coins or highest cs in 15 minutes or similar, cause you know, we hon players are a competitive bunch.

My 2 cents
AU Adzz
133 Posts
2.7 years ago
yeah dave pretty much just sums up all of our thoughts in one

that lan was pretty weird considering that tourney didnt run til the following morning when everyone was drained, and passing out all over the lan
overall it was pretty good, just a bit of confusion from the amount of comps that were run, and how it affected the overall gameplay and internet problems

Edited once, 7/2/12 - 9:06am.
AU Lordo
1,001 Posts
2.7 years ago
Quote from Wytaliba on the 7th of February 2012:
The lag was very frustrating, the lack of tournament structure and communication between the teams was appalling. You know the problems, shouldn't happen again (at least not to that degree).

Didn't shinkz organise it? Lol. Shame to hear that it was unstructured. I am told that it ran very behind schedule, yes?

Last but not least, obviously you need to let know the community about the prizes earlier than a week before the LAN, I know this was outside your control but you will need to plan ahead and let the teams know because out of state teams cant easily transport there at short notice. Also if you want other members of the HoN community there (not just teams) perhaps throw some fun competitions in there, most kills in a mid wars game wins gold coins or highest cs in 15 minutes or similar, cause you know, we hon players are a competitive bunch.

That's probably the best point. Not only would you want to attract teams you should also focus on attracting casual players with the allure of easy(ish)-to-win prizes and such.
AU SpotTheOzzie
1,881 Posts
2.7 years ago
perhaps you were looking at more specific feedback on HoN and not the changing the LAN structure as a whole?

To be honest I think it would all be beneficial for there to be any suggestion the outside community would make. Just to be clear, I am not an SGL representative, I didn't run any of the SGL tournaments, I was only at the SGL LAN to play for Clan Carnage in the Battlefield 3 tournament.

The idea behind this thread is just an attempt to get everyone in the same loop, whenever I find new information about a LAN I post it up immediately. It allows for the community to keep an eye out for it, gets rid of the insider trading that a few people are reluctant to pass on for their own benefit and for the SGL team to know what the community expects and wants.

Your points are valid Wytal as were the people trying to pass that on prior to the Lan as well. BF3 was on the same page as HoN in many regards. Supposed to start at 4pm, first game started at 2am; Servers weren't setup, prizes were reduced the week before, etc.

I believe SGL will take a massive chapter out of this LAN and definitely aim to make drastic improvements in the upcoming LAN and it'd be good if the top 4 CGi teams could attend for some quality gaming.
AU BoostN
582 Posts
2.7 years ago
sydneys a shiiit hole so naturally their tournaments would be somewhat in similar nature.

:DDDD

Melbourne WAT
AU Tearie
21 Posts
2.7 years ago
fuck off serkan!
AU Arctic0wl
147 Posts
2.7 years ago
If it is at rosehill I will be boycotting the event. The staff were rude and made things difficult for everyone. Lookin forward to the next one (if it's not at rosehill), rocky and casua1ty put on a great event considering. Wyt' had some very valid argument and I too would be keen on a three day marathon. Just might be hard gettin work off on the Friday night :p. also make the prebooked seating allocation work :p
AU Painyx
3,567 Posts
2.7 years ago
had a team and all at sgl for hon but couldn't even play due to the late start and the our groups stage for cod4 finishing at 3 in the morning.. hopefully its smoother next time around. got to 1v1 some1 from fray in the morning though with tundra ;dd
CURRENT COD2 HQ CHAMP